Done right, almost anything tastes better grilled. The problem I have is being stuck in a hot kitchen doing prep work while everyone else is outside sipping cocktails. When I finally get outside, I stand over a hot grill fretting over whether the chicken is cooked all the way through or the burgers are charred to a crisp.
Sound familiar? Well, this year, my grilling mantra is “keep it simple.” Friends and family will bring side dishes and dessert for our Memorial Day barbeque, while I’ll offer up grilled salmon and vegetables that should prove to be delectable without much prep or grilling drama.
I found this easy recipe online (for about six people) and can’t wait to fire up the barbie. Check it out:
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
- lemon pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- salt to taste
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Season salmon fillets with lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt
- Mix soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and vegetable oil until sugar is dissolved
- Place fish in large resealable plastic bag with the soy sauce mixture and seal
- Turn to coat salmon completely
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- Preheat grill for medium heat
- Lightly oil grill grate – rub extra oil on skin to prevent sticking
- Place salmon skin side down to start; discard marinade
- Cook salmon for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork
This part is totally up to your personal preferences. I’ll be grilling fresh asparagus and kabobs with onions, mushrooms, and red, yellow, and orange bell peppers.
- Wash veggies well and trim stems, etc.
- Cut peppers and onions into large chunks
- Marinate all veggies in your favorite vinaigrette in fridge for 4 hrs.
- Drain veggies and keep marinade in reserve
- Thread peppers, onions, and mushrooms onto skewers, alternating by color
- Cook veggies on medium-hot grill for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally and basting with extra marinade
Colorful, healthy, and best of all, quick and easy. Bon Appetit!
We love your feedback, so let us know if you tried or improved our recipe.
[ Learn more at AllRecipes.com ]